I’m a self-taught Rubyist diving deeper into maintainable Rails. In mid-2020 I quit my previous career in humanities teaching, got a new day job in tech support, and used my free time to work toward my first developer job.
Sana Benefits | Remote
Booster Apps and Rivo | Remote
Open source contributions
Bridgetown | Ruby 3
Circulate (Ruby for Good) | Rails 6, RSpec, Factory Bot
Lobsters | Rails 6, RSpec
My study plan
- Documenting my learning path.
- During my first year (before the projects below) I learned Ruby and practiced TDD and design patterns by building a command-line app. I also learned some computer science and frontend skills.
Doctor Lookup | GitHub | Rails 7, RSpec, VCR, WebMock, Hotwire (Turbo Streams)
- Created a search app for finding doctors and other healthcare providers in the U.S.
Story Toss | GitHub | Rails 7, RSpec, Factory Bot, Hotwire (Stimulus + Turbo Frames)
- Created an app implementation of the game “Pass the Story.”
- Built it as an informal capstone project for Jason Swett’s Complete Guide to Rails Testing.
Wiki Stumble | GitHub | Rails 7, RSpec, VCR, WebMock
- Created an app that gives personalized recommendations of Wikipedia articles.
Plain Reading | GitHub | Rails 7
- Created an app that parses a user’s plain-text reading list from Dropbox, and shows it as a web page.
This website | GitHub | Bridgetown, Hotwire (Stimulus + Turbo Drive)
- Featured on the Ruby Rogues podcast for the Bridgetown tutorial that I wrote alongside my site.
- My Bridgetown tutorial was also featured in Ruby Weekly.
M.A. in Classical Studies | University of Kentucky
B.A. in English Literature | LeTourneau University